Safety precautions for injectables

With the recent improvements in technology, what we have seen is availability of large number of injectables, so much so that in many case, an injectable may actually provide (at least a short-term) alternative to plastic surgery. The actual administration will probably be done by a technician anyway but what is important is to figure out what filler is right for you – that is something only a qualified medical professional can do. Plus, if there is a complication, there is an expert ready to deal with it.

The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) recommends the following guidelines for those seeking cosmetic injectable treatments:

    Don’t choose a surgeon based on price. Injectables are pharmaceutical products and must be administered by trained, qualified clinicians.
    Make sure the benefits and risks are fully explained to you in a patient consultation. Plastic surgeons use the consultation process to educate patients about the proposed procedure. Every procedure has inherent risks and benefits; the hallmark of informed consent is the understanding of risks and benefits, and realistic expectations.
    Fully disclose any medical conditions you might have, and medications you are taking including vitamins and over-the-counter drugs. This information will help your clinician select the most effective procedure for you, with the fewest side-effects.
    Any injectable should be administered in an appropriate setting using sterile instruments. A non-physician who is appropriately licensed and trained may perform the injections under the supervision of a qualified plastic surgeon or dermatologist. Malls and private homes are not medical environments and may be unsanitary.
    Know what you are being injected with. Disturbing reports of patients being injected with everything from liquid silicone to baby oil and other unapproved products are appearing in the press on a regular basis. Make sure your clinician is using only FDA-approved products purchased within the United States. If he or she refuses to give you this information, seek another clinician.